Sunday, April 14, 2013

Surprised !

Its a common practice at our CLOUDNINE hospital ,the husband is allowed to be by the side of his wife during her delivery time either at the labor room or at the OR room if the pt ends up at  for a C section just to provide the moral support, confidence and lend a reassuring hand, during the worst painful labor period.
As usual one day I was busy anaesthetising a pregnant lady for C section,I had put up intravenous line,positioned the patient for the spinal anesthesia,and went ahead with the procedure giving my nod to the surgeon to go ahead with the surgery,indicating every thing is fine with the the patient.Usually at this point of time the patient's husband is called inside to stay by the side of the patient and sit on chair placed near the head end of the patient.
In less than three minutes after induction of anesthesia the obstetrician extracted a live male bay and handed over the baby to the baby doctor for  the resuscitation .I then gave couple of routine injections to the mother and put her to sleep.
At that point of time I turned back to congratulate the father of the baby I was in for shock of my life ! there was a middle aged woman
sitting pretty happy in tears .I just did not know what was going on !
I could not bear the suspense any more I gestured her why she was here in the first place ? She almost broke in ecstasy indicating that the child that just born was hers .
It took me some time to know that I was dealing with the surrogate womb and  mother !!

No comments: